So when I first read through this assignment I was very unsure of joining an online community. Beyond myspace and facebook I am not nor have I even been part of an online community. I think that when I think of online communities the first thing that comes to my mind is chat rooms. I knew for certain that I didn’t want to be part of any chat rooms. So I started thinking about what I would even want to join an online community to discuss and the first thing that came to my mind was fashion. I just returned yesterday from Las Vegas where I attended the MAGIC Tradeshow (which was SO amazing!!!!!!!!!). MAGIC is the largest tradeshow in North America for textiles and apparel. This is where designers and their designs meet with buyers who will sell their products. Buyers from Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Saks, Macy’s, every huge name you can think of and lots of buyers from small boutiques were al there to place purchase orders for products that they will sell in the fall. While I was there I got to see design and apparel that no one else will get to see for months. I felt so good! I also go to purchase items from the designers that will not be available for anyone else to purchase for a really long time (lucky for me I’m the sample size :) ). Anyway I thought that because I had been to this show I would have a lot of useful knowledge that others like myself would be really interested to hear about and probably on a fashion site there would be lots of individuals who know the newest, latest, and greatest that I might not know about yet. I did a search for a fashion online community and returned lots of results, the one that struck me was one that was created by Damon Dash, the Fashion/Music/ and now Internet mogul. Damon Dash is on of the cofounders of Rocawear which is Jay Z’s clothing line. The only thing I love as much as fashion is music. Hiphop and R&B is my music so this online community seemed like the best fit for me.
The site is called BlockSavvy, it mixes fashion, music, and entertainment with the people who want to know about it and mixes people who care about the same things together. Since I have joined I have actually spent more time on BlockSavvy.com than on myspace and facebook combined. The community is so ahead of anyone I know in Corvallis or Salem or Portland that I enjoy the information that I find here more than the information I find on either myspace or facebook. I assimilated just fine into the group and the group accepted me very well. We all love the same things, we have a lot in common. I get comments a lot about being a little white girl from Corvallis Oregon and being so into hiphop and urban fashion. The online community has an overwhelming majority or African American men and women from very urban areas. I feel like they are very accepting of my interest and passion for the subject matter but love to tell me how unusual it is. I’m SO happy that I was given this assignment I discovered an online community that I LOVE!!! If anyone that reads this has an interest in music and/or fashion check it out... I think you'll really like it.
Blog Archive
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hey Suzziq! I'm sure you are a part of an online community. Believe it or not, Facebook and Myspace are online communities but not many people look at it that way. Anyways, it is great to see that you found an online community that you love. I too love music and fashion. Actually, part of my major includes music. I dream of becoming a musical producer someday. Just like Jay-Z and Kanye West. Anywhoot, the website you joined sounds very interesting. I would have to stop by and give it a look. Great post!
I really enjoyed your blog, I had the same feeling about online communities going into this project. I am a member of My space and Face book but never really looked at them like cyber communities because I usually just converse with friends and people I know. However, when you think about it that is exactly what an online community is; a place where you can go and talk to people about things that interest you at your convenience. There is no meeting time or physical location; there is only a large group of people that hope to sustain relationships through online communication.
I know what you mean about the Magic show; I am from Las Vegas and have several chances to attend the convention. It is amazing to see so many people all interested in the same thing in one place at the same time. I have also took your advice and checked out the site by Damon Dash. I thought it was really hip and a good way to stay in touch with the latest fashion and music. Nice post!
Great idea to dive into the cyber fashion community! Myspace was a struggle for me - my age seems to fighting me every step of the way with this assignment, but between you and me...I think I'm winning! :) Anyway, I never would have imagined there would be a fashion/music cyber community. You've opened my mind even more with that thought and made me realize I could have taken this assignment much further than I did. Nice blog.
Good post. When thinking of online communities I too think about chat rooms and sharing information that I am not comfortable with. I think it’s interesting that you choose to join an online community such as this one. Not because you’re a “little white girl from Corvallis”, but because it’s not the most common online community out there. After reading your post I thought I’d take a look for myself. I actually enjoyed this site and thought there was some good information on this site. Growing up in California and now living up here I’m often lost and behind on the latest fashion and this site is perfect for me.
I am hurt by you saying that blocksavvy is better than facebook or myspace. I am on those and not on blocksavvy. Anyways I was just wondering if you think that you will ever meet any of your new friends in person or if you think it will only stay online friends?
Post a Comment