Thursday, January 24, 2008

myspace continued

I realized that I was so upset about the girl stealing my picture and putting it up as her own that I forgot to make sure that I covered what is required for this weeks post. All of the information I put up on my page is accurate, I didn't lie or mislead anyone in anyway. I am a confident individual and I'm ok with the person that I am. I do somethings that some people might not approve of but I also work very hard, go to school full time, I take care of my dog and my boyfriend (which is a FULL time job), and I assume that the people who I allow to be my friends on myspace are close enough to me that they won't judge me for the ways I chose to spend my weekends. If i did try to lie about anything one of my friends would call me out for sure. It wouldn't do me any good to try!

1 comment:

Dann Cutter said...

So... I have a great question for you. And understand I am not trying to rationalize or sensationalize, but am honestly interested in metaphysical answer 'now' and not the answer I truly think in 15 years we might make.

You are young and pretty. The ravages of life have yet to effect you in any dramatic way. You presumably have no kids, your metabolism is still in high gear (god I miss that) and you have a boyfriend so your foreseeable future is mostly about graduation and beyond.

However, those things change. Skin doesn't stay as taught, the tan of youth becomes the wrinkles of middle age. Gravity becomes an enemy. Boyfriends turn into husbands or Exs, sometimes both. Dreams of world domination becomes cries of quiet loneliness, even in an outwardly successful career. And time marches on. That biological clock comes calling in an all too unforgiving way.

So I ask, do you think what you project on Facebook would or will be the same in 15 years? in 20? Now facebook is a way to keep in touch with the 30 or 40 people you see regularly, however soon you will find yourself working someplace where that number diminishes quickly. If in 15 years, life has turned out as planned, do you still see yourself being as honest on facebook? As forthright with photos which may not be as flattering as before. Heck, even something as simple as age (which is I think the only thing I omit from my Facebook site). Do you that you will use Facebook in the same way?

I apologize, I am not singling you out for this, as I think the question is more rhetorical, and helps me establish a point to my comments. Age changes perspective. The answer to the question for me now seems light years from what I would have said when i was your age. Gone is the bravado of youth, the confidence of immortality. These are replaced by different things. Some good, some not.

So the real question is... how do you think facebook will change? Or will, by necessity, we all outgrow these profiles in favor of some new online avatar.