I created my myspace account about two years ago I think, maybe a little less. I had been on facebook for about six months and I had friends who went to Western Oregon University and facebook was not available for them yet. I really just wanted to be able to have the same contact with my Western friends as I did with my OSU friends. I loved being able to view my friends photos and get updates on their lives that were minor enough that they may not think to call me to talk to me about but that I still wanted to be aware of.
I was always much more protective of myself on myspace than I was on facebook. For some weird reason I felt safer knowing that all of the people on facebook were in college which meant that most were normal!? They had to have something going on in their lives other than stalking girls on facebook. They had to be at class at least 12 to 15 hours a week. Being in college also meant that most of the people on facebook were probably right around my age. When I picture a crazy, creeper, stalker, he’s usually not in college. Most of my family is on myspace which is nice, I can keep in contact with them, they can check out my photo albums and see what I’m doing with my free time and I can do the same to them.
I have a very entertaining story about myspace. My cousin who is a young man who lives in the Portland area and I are friends on myspace, and he came across, somehow!!? a woman who had a profile that said that she lived in Salem and she had two kids and her profile picture was a picture of ME! It was the craziest thing, my cousin emailed me immediately and I went straight to her page to see if he was joking and sure enough her profile was a picture of me! She stole my profile picture from me!!! I was furious, I sent her an email and told her to remove my picture immediately and asked her what kind of an idiot would do that. I used come choice words that I won’t repeat here, but I was very angry and said things that were not very nice. I really wanted to comment on her page telling everyone she was a liar and a fake but you have to be someone’s friend to comment on their myspace page so I looked on her profile at the picture she had up of me and there were 7 or 8 comments from men telling her how good she looked in this picture. I sent every one of them a message on myspace telling them to look at my profile and see that this girl was stealing my pictures, they did and they helped me retaliate by posting comments on her main page saying that she was a liar and adding links to my page so that everyone could see that this wasn’t actually her. I contacted Tom at myspace and he deleted her account a couple of days later. I felt violated somehow. So angry!!
I thought that story was very fitting after last weeks post!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I couldn’t agree more Suzzi about how facebook feels safer than myspace. Something about knowing that a person is a college student is comforting and also because of the fact you know that you know that it is an actual person’s identity. I had a very bad experience with myspace my freshman year of college, an ex-girlfriend of mine created a page and profile of me and by the time I found out about it she had been talking with about 200 friends of mine on a daily basis for about 3 months. Pretty Creepy Huh!
Post a Comment