I chose to interview members of my family because they are the easiest for me access and the most likely to answer all my questions honestly (for the most part). I talked to my brother first. He is a year and 11 months younger than me but his life path has been much different than mine, so his internet usage is much different than mine also. He doesn't have a job currently and has had no post high school education. So as you might guess he has a lot of time on his hands for things like surfing the web. When I asked him what his primary use of the internet was his first response was "myspace". He is on myspace all the time, he has a blackberry and if he's not at home he's on myspace on his blackberry. He communicates with his friends more through myspace than anything else. He meets new people through myspace. Not having a job and not going to school makes meeting new people hard he says, so instead of getting a job or going to school, he meets new friends on myspace, obviously not the most intelligent decision, I would vote for him to just get a job! Or go to school! He is very comfortable communicating on the internet, he thinks the internet has definitley changed his life for the better. He gets to "meet all kinds of hot girls" he might not meet if he didn't have access to myspace. He also said that when he's not on myspace he is researching cars, downloading ALOT of music, and looking for a job (yeah right), and he uses the internet to find cheat codes for the xbox games he plays (whatever that means). The next generation would be my stepmom. She uses the internet mostly for emailing, advertising, myspace, and business related research, and occasionally downloading music. My stepmom owns a coffee shop uses the internet to order supplies and check the shipment status of her supplies. She likes myspace because even though she can't always know what I'm doing she knows she'll see the pictures on myspace eventually. (frightening) She communicates with lots of the members of my family through email and gets email updates on shipments of products. She also has a webpage for her coffee shop which was created and is maintained by someone else but she visits the page frequently and decides what sort of updates she thinks it needs. She likes to think she mostly uses it as a business tool but she spends just as much time checking up on me through myspace, and emailing her friends and family, and downloading music to her ipod as she does placing and tracking her supply orders! She is a big fan of the internet, she can't imagine how she would get the product that she needs without it. The next member of my family that I talked to was my Grandma. She calls her computer an electronic solitare game, meaning that it's main use to her is as a deck of cards, she plays solitare on her computer more than she does anything else. She does know how to access her email and how to respond to emails. She keeps her contacts in microsoft outlook, and uses her outlook calendar. My grandma and I communicate via email more than any other communication method. She is alot better at technological stuff than she lets on to be. She likes the internet because she gets to "talk to her grandkids" more than she would without it but she still wants me to call her more :). They all use the internet for personal entertainment and for organization or business purposes. They have personal and business uses for the internet. Maybe we are abnormal but all three generations of my family find the internet to be both fun and useful. |
Blog Archive
Monday, February 25, 2008
Internet Use Across Generations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I like that your gradma keeps in contact with you through email. My doesn't and when i get a hand written letter from her it is nice,but I dont want to write one back. If I got emails from her I would love to write her back. It is funny that your gradma only seems to use the internet to keep in contact with her grandkids. If she didn't have any do you think she would still use the internet.
You're grandma sounds sweet. Funny, your borther sounds like my son and your stepmother sounds like my sister. They were both similar; however, my son is 15 so the job isn't a major issue...YET!
I thought your blog was really good, the people that I interviewed had the same views as far as it being accessible but they weren't on the internet as much as your family. Your brother sounds like my brother just being on MySpace all day every day. It's funny to me the range of ages of people that use MySpace. I could never imagine my mom checking up on me on MySpace not that I have anything to hide but that would be so weird to me. My grandfather doesn’t even know how to use the computer really and I’m impressed on how many grandparents know how to use the computer. I enjoyed your blog.
I think we both have at least one thing in common, a little brother whose is obsessed with the internet. I think it’s funny that you think your stepmom has a MySpace account just so she can check up on you; I guess moms will be moms. I think you guys are the typical American family. The internet has many different features that attract different generations. Grandma can play her game. Little brother can meet hot new girls and mom can check on you. The internet is really fun and exciting so I would say you’re defiantly normal. Good post.
Post a Comment