| I want to dedicate my wildcard post to my appreciation for the internet. For the most part I have taken the internet and its usefulness, efficiency, entertainment value and its use as a research tool, job aid, and venue for classroom discussions for granted. I always knew it was important to me and that it made many aspects of my life easier and more enjoyable but I never really developed my thoughts on exactly how important it is to me and how hard it would be to function without it. Right now I am really sick, I missed class yesterday and today and I’m not sure if I will be able to make it tomorrow. My grade in this class will be completely unaffected. I missed two classes yesterday, one of which a major project was due in, and I missed two classes today, one of which an assignment was due in. I am writing this post in my robe, in bed. Even laying in bed writing this is a task, my eyes hurt and my head hurts and I have blow my nose every five minutes. I will be able to complete this assignment before it is due without leaving my bed. If not for the internet I would be in big trouble right now. Right now I am also searching for an internship. I do almost every bit of searching on the internet. Stylecareers.com, WWD, Fashioncareers.com, I use these websites that have collected and placed in one easy to access website, all of the internships that I have interest in applying for. I am able to apply directly from the website or I can email the companies HR department with my resume and cover letter attached. Most of the time the company is listed in the job heading and I can go to the company’s website and do some research about the company before I apply, I can usually find out where their headquarters are so I can get an idea about where the internship will be. I can research what they value in an employee and customize my cover letter to fit their company. You can imagine how difficult a task that would be without the internet. I get to email all my teachers and let them know how sick I am rather than having to try to find their phone numbers and call them. I have said before that everything I do in my life I do with the internet but its true. I bank online, I buy my plane tickets and book my hotels online, I email my friends, family, and my professors online, I pay my bills online, I look for and apply for jobs online, I get my news and entertainment updates online, I use facebook and myspace to communicate with friends, I use the internet to download music, and listen to satellite radio when I’m not in my car. I love the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t know what I would do without it. Now I’m going to take some Nyquil and sleep the rest of the day away and hopefully wakeup all better! |
Blog Archive
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
appreciation for the internet
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I had realized the same thing, that I have begun to take the internet for granted. If it wasn't for the internet, I would not be graduating in June. I would not have a job, I would not be enrolled in class, I would not be living in Stayton, and I probably would not be married yet. Everything fell together so nicely that I had internet connections. Internet has really helped my life.
I like your post a lot. I never really thought about how much I use the internet until this class. Now I have relized just like you that the internet is a huge part of life as we know it. With out the internet I am curious where our world would be. Would we be anything like we are today? I really don't think so. I am very thankful for the internet just as you are and I want to thank who ever invented it "Al Gore" hahaa well whoever it was I am thnakful.
I know finding a job/internship over the internet is easier. But I always had the most success in finding jobs the old fashioned way: through personal networks. Have you found the same?
Post a Comment